Part of the fun for US Open fans is spotting celebrities in the crowd: Notables like Michael Jordan, Anna Wintour, and Alec Baldwin have already been spied watching early matches, reports RadarOnline. But many fans don't know that these celebs love hitting the court as well. Here's a sampling of tennis-playing celebs:
- Kate Middleton claims to be "slightly out of practice" at tennis since giving birth to son Prince George, but says she and husband Prince William are competitive tennis players, reports Hello Magazine. When asked who wins more often during royal matches, Kate diplomatically said the couple was "even."
- It's hard to imagine the Vogue editor breaking a sweat or taking off her signature sunglasses, but Anna Wintour does enjoy the occasional game. But according to New York, she admits she could improve her backhand and "spin."
- Before he became an international movie star, Brad Pitt was a member of his high school's tennis team. Check out Snakkle.com to see a young Pitt on the court.
- Kaley Cuoco of The Big Bang Theory not only married pro tennis player Ryan Sweeting, but the couple has been photographed kissing on the court ... while playing tennis, reports Huffington Post.
- Scarlett Johansson, who starred in Woody Allen's tennis film Match Point, says she loves hitting the court. She even credits the sport for her shapely physique, according to Female First.
- Dakota Fanning once revealed on The Tonight Show that she loved playing tennis when she was younger, but the heat derailed her tennis dreams, reports Just Jared Jr.
- When actress Christine Taylor married husband Ben Stiller in 2000, she was determined to make the comedic actor love the sport as much as she did. "I begged him to take me to Wimbledon for my birthday a few years ago and we did. And this past US Open, he was screaming at the finals harder than me!" she tells ESPN. She plays, and wants her kids to play too.
- In an interview with Men's Health, Matthew Perry reveals that he gave up tennis to pursue acting when he was a teenager. He moved from Ottawa, Canada to Los Angeles at age 15, "and everyone in LA just killed me. ... It was insane. I realized I wouldn’t be playing tennis for a living, so I went for acting."
- These images on Celebuzz make clear that Jennifer Love Hewitt and Hayden Panettiere don't just play tennis, they play tennis in skimpy bikinis and heels.