Natty British designer Paul Smith outlines his do's and don'ts for the 21st-century gentlemen in a cagey Details interview. Cologne lovers, beware:
- T-shirts seem easy, but they're a big no-no; go with a collar.
- A good, bland haircut is better than a failed stylish one.
- Women first! Don't ignore them in favor of a pal at dinner.
- Dress for the occasion, but chuck the bow tie if no one else is wearing.
- Older men can swing a full beard; just don't try artful stubble.
- Take a cue from Londoners: They value free-thinking over style.
- Take notes from innovative dressers, too, like Daniel Day-Lewis.
- A custom suit is comfortable enough for everyday wear.
- Tech, like cell phones, mucks up the lines of your suit.
- If you use cologne, go easy, guy.