Noxious Gas Hits Moscow
Media reports say it's hydrogen sulphide
By Neal Colgrass,  Newser Staff
Posted Nov 10, 2014 3:59 PM CST

(Newser) – A noxious gas descended on Moscow today as officials warned people to stay indoors—and added that the stinky stuff isn't the least bit harmful, Mashable reports. Local media identified the gas as hydrogen sulphide, which smells rotten and can be quite toxic, while the nation's emergencies ministry pinned the blame on Moscow's Gazprom Neft oil refinery. Gazprom denied that, saying "the plant is operating normally." Residents, meanwhile, are complaining of headaches and having difficulty breathing: "I have [smelled] the toxic gas all day," a 25-year-old woman tells the BBC. "I'm at home now and I closed the windows. ... But I have a headache." The gas has so far struck several parts of Moscow, including the parliament building and prime shopping areas.

 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
33%
8%
3%
5%
48%
3%