Guy Says ScarJo Stole His Band Name
Hits 'The Singles' with a cease-and-desist
By Evann Gastaldo,  Newser Staff
Posted Feb 26, 2015 8:56 AM CST
Updated Feb 26, 2015 10:28 AM CST
Scarlett Johansson arrives at the 30th annual Film Independent Spirit Awards on Saturday, Feb. 21, 2015, in Santa Monica, Calif.   (Photo by John Shearer/Invision/AP)

(Newser) – Scarlett Johansson just announced her new band last week, and already it's embroiled in controversy. The Singles is a pop supergroup the actress formed with Haim's Este Haim, as well as musicians Holly Miranda, Kendra Morris, and Julia Haltigan (listen to the first single here). Just one problem: There's already a band called The Singles, which is also based in LA and has existed since 1999, and that band has now issued a cease-and-desist to Johansson's group, Pitchfork reports. "I woke up one morning and learned from the news that our band name was literally just taken by someone else as their own," frontman Vincent Frederick says in a press release.

"It's hard to believe that any musician would do something like that to another band," he continues, adding that The Singles has accounts on almost every social media site, plus music for sale on iTunes and SoundCloud, among others. "Just a simple search on Google" would have revealed the problem, he says. Rolling Stone notes that, indeed, "the top two results for 'The Singles' on Google [direct] readers to Frederick's official website and SoundCloud account." It appears the Johansson band may cooperate: A founding partner for its label, Federal Prism, tells the Hollywood Reporter, "I'd like to take the vinyl and T-shirts marked as 'The Singles' and sell them all and donate all of the money to the Los Angeles Children's Hospital." (Johansson recently confessed that when her new daughter was born, she looked "completely different" than she'd expected.)