Yemen Ports Frozen by Saudi-Led Forces: Coalition Rep
No weapons are coming in or going out of the country in strike against Shiite rebels
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Mar 30, 2015 12:24 PM CDT
Yemenis gather during a protest against Saudi-led airstrikes on Shiite rebels, known as Houthis, in Sanaa, Yemen, Monday, March 30, 2015.    (Hani Mohammed)
camera-icon View 5 more images

(Newser) – The spokesman for the Saudi-led campaign against Yemeni rebels says coalition naval forces have besieged the country's ports. Ahmed Asiri told reporters today that the naval forces are blocking the movement of ships to prevent weapons and fighters from entering or leaving Yemen. Asiri, speaking from the Saudi capital of Riyadh, spoke on the fifth day of airstrikes targeting Shiite rebels known as Houthis and allied forces loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh. The Houthis and their allies seized Sanaa, the capital of Yemen, in September, and internationally recognized President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi fled the country last week. Iran supports the rebels, but both Tehran and the Houthis have denied that it arms them.

 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
6%
6%
2%
77%
2%
6%