Saudis: We Repelled Rebel Border Attack
'Dozens' dead after attempted Houthi incursion
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted May 1, 2015 4:54 AM CDT
Officials of Felix Airways, a domestic airline, inspect a plane destroyed by Saudi-led airstrikes at Sanaa International Airport in Yemen earlier this week.   (AP Photo/Hani Mohammed)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – A cross-border attack on Saudi Arabia by Yemeni rebel forces resulted in late-night clashes that left three Saudi soldiers and "dozens" of Yemeni rebels dead, according to the Saudi Defense Ministry. A ministry statement said that a group of Yemen's Shiite rebels attacked "border posts and control points" in the southern Saudi province of Najran last night. Saudi forces, backed by air force fighter jets, repelled the attack, the statement said.

A Saudi-led coalition of mostly Sunni Arab nations has been conducting airstrikes inside Yemen for more than a month, seeking to blunt the advance of Houthi rebel forces who have overrun the capital, Sanaa, and were advancing deep into southern Yemen. Despite more than a month of airstrikes, the campaign has largely failed to halt the rebel advance into southern Yemen. However, the Saudi government claims its coalition campaign has destroyed much of the rebel stockpile of missiles and heavy weapons.