A California woman is publicly shaming her 36-year-old son by sharing the embarrassing photos he took with a rattlesnake—right before it bit him—with local news stations. Deborah Gomez tells CBS Los Angeles she's trying to teach her son Alex a lesson. KTLA reports Alex Gomez found the 4-foot-long snake behind his family's ranch Monday and started posing for photos with it, even going so far as to wrap it around his neck. That's when the snake bit Gomez's hand, likely not a moment too soon from the snake's perspective. "I was going to take it off my neck and do something else with it," Gomez tells KTLA.
The father of three was rushed to the hospital, where he was treated with anti-venom but may still need his thumb amputated or lose the use of his arm, KTLA reports. His mother tells CBS the skin on his hand is already rotting away. Gomez has begged his mother not to talk to the media, but she isn't listening. "No mercy for him," she tells CBS. "I’m shocked that he would have that things around his neck. It could’ve bit his neck, and that would have been it. That’s just being a fool." As for Gomez, it seems the lesson is starting to sink in. "Don't mess with snakes," he advises KTLA. "Just leave them alone." (Read more rattlesnake stories.)