Search for Survivors of Sunken Cargo Ship Ends Tonight
But one dad is 'still optimistic'
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Oct 7, 2015 2:35 PM CDT
Maine Maritime Academy students bow their heads during a vigil of hope for the missing crew members of the U.S. container ship El Faro, Tuesday evening, Oct. 6, 2015, in Castine, Maine.   (Robert F. Bukaty)
camera-icon View 5 more images

(Newser) – The Coast Guard plans to end its search for 33 missing crew members from a US cargo ship that sank last week during Hurricane Joaquin, officials told family members Wednesday. The Coast Guard said it will end its search for survivors from the El Faro on Wednesday evening, according to Robert Green, father of LaShawn Rivera. He said the Coast Guard informed relatives during a briefing at the Seafarers Internatonal Union hall in Jacksonville that the search would end between 6pm and 7pm. Despite the decision, Green said, "I think we're still hopeful. Miracles do happen, and it's God's way only. I'm prayerful, hopeful and still optimistic."

The 790-foot cargo ship sank Thursday off the Bahamas during Hurricane Joaquin, a Category 4 storm with 140mph winds that was producing 50-foot waves. Officials say the ship's captain had plans to go around the storm as he headed from Jacksonville, Florida, to Puerto Rico but the El Faro suffered unexplained engine failure that left it unable to avoid the storm. Earlier, federal investigators said they still hope to recover a data recorder from the ship as search crews continue looking for any survivors. The National Transportation Safety Board sent a team to Jacksonville on Tuesday to begin the agency's inquiry, which will seek to answer two big questions.
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
10%
0%
87%
3%
0%
0%