A US official confirmed Friday that Iran tested a missile capable of delivering a nuclear weapon earlier this month, Reuters reports. In a statement, US ambassador to the UN Samantha Power says the US is "deeply concerned" about the launch, which is a violation of the UN Security Council's ban on ballistic missile tests. The BBC quotes White House press secretary Josh Earnest, who says the test fits with Iran's MO of "almost serially violating the international community's concerns about their ballistic missile program." The missile tested Oct. 10 is said to be more reliable than Iran's earlier missiles and can travel more than 1,000 miles.
Reuters reports the launch violates a 2010 UN resolution that remains valid until the new nuclear deal reached in July goes into effect. "The Security Council prohibition on Iran's ballistic missile activities, as well as the arms embargo, remain in place," Power says in the statement. "We will continue to press the Security Council for an appropriate response to Iran's disregard for its international obligations." BBC reports the missile test is unlikely to impact the new nuclear agreement. Under that agreement, Iran will simply be "called upon" not to work on ballistic missiles for up to eight years, according to Reuters. President Obama admits the new deal doesn't address all possible issues and says additional pressure will need to be put on Iran by the international community.