Fire Breaks Out in Chicago's Hancock Skyscraper 5 people were injured By Newser Editors and Wire Services Posted Nov 21, 2015 4:45 PM CST Updated Nov 21, 2015 7:42 PM CST 13 comments Comments Five people were injured in the fire at Chicago's Hancock skyscraper. (Brian Nguyen/Chicago Tribune via AP) (Newser) – Authorities say a fire that broke out about halfway up the John Hancock Center, one of Chicago's tallest skyscrapers, has been put out. Five people were injured. Flames and thick smoke poured out of an east side window on the 50th floor Saturday. Authorities said the fire did not leave the residential unit where it began, but the apartment was gutted and other residents on the floor would be displaced. Fire officials said the blaze was accidental. The iconic 99-floor building also has offices, shops, and an observation floor popular with tourists. The Fire Department's media office tweeted that of the injured, two were in good condition and three were stable. A spokesman couldn't immediately be reached to provide details. Firefighters conducted floor-by-floor searches to ensure people were safe.