Southern California authorities launched a frantic manhunt Saturday after three inmates charged with violent crimes, including torture and murder, escaped an Orange County jail. The inmates were last seen at 5am Friday at the Orange County Central Men's Jail in Santa Ana. They could have escaped any time between then and late Friday night, Orange County Sheriff's Department spokesperson Jeff Hallock said. He said investigators believe they know how the three men escaped the 900-inmate jail, but for now, he wouldn't release those details. He said it's the first escape from the facility in at least the past 20 years and could be the first-ever breakout from the jail. Hallock said the sheriff's department is doing everything it can to find the men.
The escapees include 20-year-old Jonathan Tieu, who had been held on a $1 million bond since October 2013 on charges of murder, attempted murder, and shooting at an inhabited dwelling. His case is believed to be gang-related. Hossein Nayeri, 37, had been held without bond since September 2014 on charges of kidnapping, torture, aggravated mayhem, and burglary for allegedly cutting a marijuana dispensary owner's penis off. The third escaped inmate, 43-year-old Bac Duong, was being held without bond since last month on charges of attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, shooting at an inhabited dwelling, and other charges. "We're exhausting all investigative resources and measures to bring these three inmates back into custody," Hallock said. (Read more California stories.)