145 Sickened by Gas Leak at Texas School
Officials blame leaky boiler
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Jan 29, 2016 12:05 AM CST
Parents arrive at Marshall Middle School in Beaumont, Texas.   (Guiseppe Barranco/The Beaumont Enterprise via AP)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – At least 145 students and staff members at a Southeast Texas middle school received hospital treatment after an apparent carbon monoxide leak on Thursday, authorities say. Beaumont emergency personnel say the children and adults from Marshall Middle School were being treated Thursday for injuries not believed to be life-threatening, the AP reports. Officials at three local hospitals reported at least 145 patients from the school were treated for exposure to the toxic gas; all were treated and released. Fire and rescue officials say paramedics were called after a student lost consciousness, and numerous students and faculty reported symptoms such as nausea and headaches. School district officials say the initial investigation shows there was a leak in a gas boiler.

 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
4%
8%
8%
4%
73%
4%