NYC Woman Recants Rape Allegations Against 5 Teens
Charges against the boys will likely be dropped
By Michael Harthorne,  Newser Staff
Posted Feb 24, 2016 6:55 PM CST
Stock photo   (Shutterstock)

(Newser) – A young woman who accused five teenage boys of chasing away her father and gang-raping her on a playground has recanted her story and prosecutors are dropping criminal charges, the AP reports. The boys had been charged with rape and other crimes following the Jan. 7 encounter in a quiet Brooklyn park. Prosecutors will ask a judge next week to formally dismiss the charges against the boys, who range in age from 14 to 17, a spokesperson for Brooklyn District Attorney Kenneth Thompson said. Authorities have no plans to charge the 18-year-old woman. According to investigators, two of the boys said they found the woman having some type of sexual contact with a man, later identified as her father.

The woman told police her father was threatened with a gun and driven off by the boys. He flagged down a police car for help, but the woman told police that before officers arrived she was raped by the boys. In a statement, Thompson said the woman provided "multiple inconsistent accounts" of the encounter. "That night, this young woman's father and the five young men engaged in conduct that was reprehensible and wrong, but because of the lack of reliable evidence, criminal charges simply cannot be sustained," Thompson said. The boys have said the encounter was consensual. Thompson said the woman didn't want to pursue the criminal case against the boys anymore. "The complainant has recanted her allegations of forcible sexual assault and the existence of a gun," he said.