Atlantic Could See More Hurricanes Than in Recent Years NOAA expects four to eight hurricanes in 2016 By Michael Harthorne, Newser Staff Posted May 27, 2016 3:44 PM CDT 28 comments Comments (Shutterstock) (Newser) – Residents along the Eastern Seaboard might want to start preparing, mentally at least, for a more hurricane-heavy year than they've had recently. After three years of below-normal hurricane seasons in the Atlantic, 2016 is shaping up to be closer to normal, NOAA reports. There's a 70% chance this year's Atlantic hurricane season, which starts June 1 and runs through Nov. 30, will feature 10 to 16 named storms, those with winds of 39mph or faster. According to NJ.com, there were 11 named storms in 2015. Four to eight of this year's named storms could turn into hurricanes. That's still below the recent hurricane-heavy years of 2010 and 2012, when there were 12 and 10 respectively. “The atmosphere is practically rolling out the red carpet" for hurricanes this year, Reuters reports. La Niña conditions in the Pacific Ocean tend to increase hurricanes in the Atlantic Ocean, as do warmer ocean temperatures. And global ocean temperatures have been setting record highs in recent months. However, forecasting this year's hurricane season has been "particularly difficult," according to NOAA. There's a 45% chance of a close-to-normal hurricane season. But there's also a 30% chance of an above-normal season and a 25% chance of a below-normal season.