Teen Dies From Brain-Eating Amoeba After Rafting Trip
Her raft overturned in North Carolina
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Jun 22, 2016 3:05 PM CDT
This combo of images provided by the Center for Disease Control shows the Naegleria fowleri amoeba in the cyst stage, left, trophozoite stage, center and the flagellated stage, right.   (AP Photo/Center For Disease Control)

(Newser) – An Ohio woman who went whitewater rafting in North Carolina has died of an infection after being exposed to an amoeba naturally present in warm fresh water, the AP reports. Lauren Seitz of Westerville, Ohio, visited North Carolina with her church group. The 18-year-old's only known underwater exposure was thought to be when her raft overturned at the US National Whitewater Center in Charlotte. North Carolina's Department of Health and Human Services said the US Centers for Disease Control suspects Naegleria fowleri, a one-celled organism that can cause primary amebic meningoencephalitis. The organism does not cause illness if swallowed, but can be deadly if forced up the nose. The CDC said only 10 cases or so are reported each year, nearly all of them fatal.

The National Whitewater Center said in a statement that it gets its water from the Charlotte Mecklenburg Utilities Department and two wells located at the site, a system of concrete channels designed to imitate various classes of rapids. The water is filtered and disinfected with chlorine as well as ultraviolent radiation sufficient to "inactivate" the amoeba, a process the center described as 99.99% effective. The center's water is not inspected by the county or state because the man-made system is not considered to be a public pool, said Dr. Marcus Plescia, Mecklenburg County's health director. But the center "is as safe as any body of water. Any time you go into a lake or pond, there are things in the water that can cause illnesses," he said. "We're not going to close every lake and pond." (Naegleria fowleri has claimed many a young victim.)