Megyn Kelly, one of Fox News' biggest stars, is leaving her network of 12 years to join NBC News, in what the New York Times calls a "seismic shift." Kelly herself confirmed the news, notes Fox News, posting on Facebook that "I am delighted to be joining the NBC News family and taking on a new challenge. I remain deeply grateful to Fox News, to Rupert, Lachlan and James Murdoch, and especially to all of the FNC viewers, who have taught me so much about what really matters." Kelly's new gig is an ambitious offer from NBC News Chairman Andrew Lack to host a daytime news show, anchor a Sunday night news show, and play a role in special programming. The anchor is reportedly pulling in $15 million in the last year of her contract with Fox, which ends this summer, and had been offered $20 million per year to stay put, per the Times.
NBC News and other networks previously said they wouldn't be able to match that sum. But Kelly wrote in her recent memoir—in which she alleged former Fox News chairman Roger Ailes had sexually harassed her—that price wasn't the most important factor in helping her decide her next career move. Instead, she said she wanted a role in which she could balance family and her goal to expand her repertoire beyond politics—something the NBC deal provides, per the Times. The sources cited in the report declined to discuss salary details.