Another wrenching story chalked up to opioids: A husband and wife in their 30s were found dead in their bedroom by their four children, reports NBC News. Police in Centerville, Ohio, received a 911 call about Brian Halye, 36, and his wife, Courtney, 34, Thursday morning from one of the children when their parents failed to wake them for school. "I just woke up and my two parents are on the floor," says their 13-year-old son in the call, per WLWT. "My sister said they're not waking up. They're not breathing." Brian Halye had worked as a pilot for Spirit Airlines for about nine years, and he last flew on March 10. The airline said in a statement that all its pilots undergo random drug testing. While toxicology results won't be complete for weeks, the coroner's office in Montgomery County says the Halyes appear to have died from a heroin-fentanyl mixture.
"It is an unfortunate reality in the world we live in right now," says an official at the office, noting that the county has seen 165 accidental overdose deaths just since January. Police found paraphernalia at the scene consistent with use of the drugs. Meanwhile, a story in the Dayton Daily News suggests that Courtney Halye had battled drug addiction for years. A police report in January 2016 recounts that Brian Halye removed two guns from her hands; she was taken to the hospital for treatment, and both her husband and mother told police at the time that she had been an addict for years. In a tragic twist, the Daily News reports Courtney Halye's previous husband died of an OD in 2007. Two of the children were from that marriage; the other two were from Brian Halye's earlier marriage. The children, ages 9, 10, 11, and 13, are with relatives. (Earlier this month, another Ohio set of parents also overdosed, but in separate locations.)