Kidnapped Chibok Girl Refused Release: Spokesperson
'I am happy where I am. I have a husband'
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted May 10, 2017 2:16 PM CDT
Chibok schoolgirls, recently freed from Nigeria extremist captivity, are photographed in Abuja, Nigeria, Monday May 8, 2017.   (Sunday Alamba)

(Newser) – One of the Chibok schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram in 2014 and who had the opportunity to be released on Saturday chose to stay with her husband, the spokesperson for Nigeria's president said Tuesday. Garba Shehu said officials originally had been negotiating for the release of 83 girls, but one said she wanted to remain. "She said, 'I am happy where I am. I have a husband,'" Shehu told the AP. The other young women, held for more than three years, are in Abuja with government officials who are supervising their re-entry into society. The government has published a list of the girls' names, and parents in Chibok, some 560 miles northeast of the capital, are slowly learning if their daughters were among those freed.

The girls were released in exchange for five Boko Haram commanders, a government official said Sunday. Neither the government nor Boko Haram, which has links to the Islamic State group, gave details about the exchange. Girls who escaped Boko Haram shortly after the 2014 mass kidnapping said some of their classmates had died from illness. Others did not want to come home because they'd been radicalized by their captors, they said. Human rights advocates also fear some of the girls have been used by Boko Haram to carry out suicide bombings as part of the group's insurgency. Of the 276 Chibok schoolgirls kidnapped in April 2014, more than 110 remain missing.

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
8%
8%
58%
3%
20%
4%