'Stakes Are Incredibly High': DA on 4 Missing Men
Bucks County, Pa., DA says 'important evidence' has been found, but no remains
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Jul 12, 2017 12:49 PM CDT
An officer walks down a blocked-off driveway in Solebury, Pa., as the search continues Wednesday for four missing young Pennsylvania men feared to be the victims of foul play.   (Matt Rourke)
camera-icon View 7 more images

(Newser) – Police have recovered "important" evidence but no human remains as they methodically search a large Pennsylvania farm this week for clues to the disappearance of four young men believed to be victims of foul play, the AP reports. A county prosecutor said Wednesday the search will remain focused on the 90-acre property owned by a family in the construction and concrete businesses, whose 20-year-old son was briefly held on $1 million bail on an old gun charge. "We're going to continue digging and searching that property until we're satisfied that they are not there," Bucks County DA Matthew Weintraub said at a morning news conference. At least some of the missing men—22-year-old Mark Sturgis, 21-year-old Tom Meo, 19-year-old Dean Finocchiaro, and 19-year-old Jimi Tar Patrick—are friends, but it's unclear how well they knew the property owners' son, Cosmo DiNardo, if at all.

DiNardo was released Tuesday evening to his parents' Bensalem home while FBI agents sifted through mounds of dirt from a deep pit they dug on the farm about 20 miles away; police cadets combed vast cornfields nearby. "We have recovered several important pieces of evidence at this site, and at other locations," Weintraub said Wednesday during the search's fourth day. "This is just really, really rough on everybody involved ... the stakes are incredibly high, life and death." Weintraub has described DiNardo as a person of interest in the case. He was arrested Monday on a charge that had earlier been dismissed, accused of possessing a shotgun despite a previous mental health commitment. He has had a few other brushes with the law since turning 18 over traffic violations and other minor infractions. His father, Antonio DiNardo, posted $100,000 Tuesday to bring him home.

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
2%
25%
23%
1%
45%
4%