Tambor Denies Accusations, Makes Big Announcement
He's not coming back to 'Transparent'
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Nov 20, 2017 12:21 AM CST
Shrink
Jeffrey Tambor arrives at the Emmy Awards at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.   (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – Jeffrey Tambor is continuing to deny accusations of sexual harassment—but he says he won't be back for another season of Transparent. The 73-year-old starred in four seasons of the Amazon web series as a retired professor undergoing gender transition. "Playing Maura Pfefferman on Transparent has been one of the greatest privileges and creative experiences of my life," Tambor tells Deadline. "What has become clear over the past weeks, however, is that this is no longer the job I signed up for four years ago." Last week, transgender actress Trace Lysette became the second person to accuse Tambor of harassment.

"I've already made clear my deep regret if any action of mine was ever misinterpreted by anyone as being aggressive, but the idea that I would deliberately harass anyone is simply and utterly untrue," Tambor says. But "given the politicized atmosphere that seems to have afflicted our set, I don't see how I can return." Variety reports that even before Tambor announced his departure, writers were working on ways to continue the series for a fifth season without his character. Lysette, a regular guest star on the show, suggested the move last week, saying producers should "remove the problem and let the show go on."

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
19%
13%
22%
10%
2%
34%