'Prankster' Cements Head in Microwave
Firefighters were 'seriously unimpressed'
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Dec 8, 2017 4:28 AM CST
Shrink
Firefighters were "seriously unimpressed."   (West Midlands Fire Service)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – There's stupid, there's extremely stupid, and then there's "cementing your head inside a microwave" stupid. Firefighters in Wolverhampton, England, say they were "seriously unimpressed" after five of them had to spend an hour dealing with a case of the latter Thursday, the BBC reports. The West Midlands Fire Service says a 22-year-old man it describes as a "YouTube prankster" and his friends poured several bags of a fast-hardening product into an unplugged microwave oven they were using as a mold around the man's head, which was protected by a plastic bag. Firefighters say that by the time they were called, the man's friends had been trying to free him for 90 minutes and had given him an air tube to help him breathe.

Firefighters had to call a technical rescue team for help freeing the man, which involved taking apart the microwave and very carefully removing the cement, using a screwdriver. "As funny as this sounds, this young man could quite easily have suffocated or have been seriously injured," says Watch Commander Shaun Dakin, per the Telegraph. "All of the group involved were very apologetic, but this was clearly a call-out which might have prevented us from helping someone else in genuine, accidental need."

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
20%
1%
5%
2%
5%
67%