Roy Moore Asks Supporters to Keep Donations Coming
Even after President Trump suggests that he concede
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Dec 16, 2017 5:00 AM CST
In this Dec. 11 photo, Roy Moore speaks at a campaign rally in Midland City, Ala.   (AP Photo/Brynn Anderson, File)

(Newser) – Alabama's Roy Moore on Friday told supporters that the "battle is not over" in Alabama's Senate race even though President Trump and others have called on him to concede. Moore sent a fundraising email to supporters asking for contributions to his "election integrity fund' so he could investigate reports of voter fraud. "I also wanted to let you know that this battle is NOT OVER!" he wrote, per the AP. Democrat Doug Jones on Tuesday defeated Moore by about 20,000 votes, or 1.5%, according to unofficial returns. But Moore, who has been accused of sexual misconduct with teenage girls when he was in his 30s, has not yet conceded the heated Alabama race to fill the seat that previously belonged to Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Moore told supporters that the race was "close" and some military and provisional ballots had yet to be counted. Those are expected to be counted next week. Moore said his campaign is collecting "numerous reported cases of voter fraud" to send to the secretary of state's office. Secretary of State John Merrill has said it is unlikely that the last-minute ballots will change the outcome of the election or even trigger a recount. Trump, who had endorsed Moore, called Jones to congratulate him on his win. Trump on Friday said that he believed Moore should concede the race.


My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
23%
2%
5%
2%
2%
67%