New York magazine writers Jessica Pressler and Chris Rovzar have come out of the closet. No, not that closet—the one hiding adult fans of Gossip Girl. The pair once justified their love for the CW's teen soap opera by calling it "awesomely bad … like Showgirls. Or a Bloomin' Onion." Now they declare it "awesomely awesome." Here are six reasons why:
- Move over, Beverly Hills 90210; with its modern plot and jealousy-filled storylines, Gossip Girl is "the Greatest Teen Drama of All Time."
- Budding romances, icy feuds; the actors live out story lines off-screen.
- Because its success on the Internet is changing television.
- Who doesn't love "the blonde bombshell versus the sassy brunette" dynamic?
- A show about gossip gets promoted via ... gossip. Brilliant.
- Because the characters are surprisingly realistic.