Harvey Weinstein Enters a Plea: Not Guilty

He quietly answered a series of yes and no questions from the judge
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Jun 5, 2018 10:05 AM CDT
Harvey Weinstein arrives at court in New York on Tuesday.   (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

(Newser) – Harvey Weinstein pleaded not guilty Tuesday to rape and criminal sex act charges in New York, reports the AP. Weinstein quietly answered a series of yes and no questions from Judge James Burke asking if he understood his rights at the hearing in Manhattan after a grand jury indicted the former movie mogul last week on charges involving two women. The New York Times notes that the grand jury hasn't finished hearing evidence, so it's possible additional charges could be forthcoming, and reports prosecutors are also investigating whether any financial crimes occurred. The Guardian describes the halls outside the courtroom as teeming with photographers. As for Weinstein, he "walked in with a limp, looking pale and taking in his surroundings."

The charges he pleaded not guilty to related to two women: One alleged victim, who hasn't been identified publicly, told investigators that Weinstein cornered her in a hotel room and raped her. The other accuser, former actress Lucia Evans, has gone public with her account of Weinstein forcing her to perform oral sex at his office in 2004. The 66-year-old Weinstein has denied all allegations of nonconsensual sex. His lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, has challenged the credibility of his alleged victims and says his client is confident he is going to clear his name. Weinstein is out on $1 million bail.


My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
21%
12%
1%
38%
0%
27%