Today's youth are dangerously dumb, Mark Bauerlein writes in his new book, The Dumbest Generation. Here's why:
- Check out Jay Leno's "Jaywalking," where "the ignorance is hard to believe."
- They boast "a new attitude," taking pride in their illiteracy.
- They can’t spell: IM'ing sparked the decline, and spellcheck finished it.
- Peers on MySpace ridicule anything that resembles original thought.
- Hours, days, months, of playing Grand Theft Auto IV: $500 million in first-week sales?
- They don’t read and remember: They surf, forward, and instantly forget.
- In an era of "self-esteem grading," teachers don't tell them they’re dumb.
- They are, after all, still young.