What do the world’s Muslims really think? In an astonishing 6-year study, Gallup interviewed 1 billion of them to find out. The vast majority support democracy, political freedoms, and women’s rights, the Christian Science Monitor reports:
- Most said they admire the West for its technology, hard work, and respect for human rights.
- Most wanted leaders to follow religious principles, but said clergy should have no direct role.
- In Iran, 89% said women should have the same rights as men.
- Just 7% condoned the 9/11 attacks, and usually gave political rather than religious reasons.
- Radical Muslims are angry at US policies, not the West in general.