For intense thrill-seekers blessed with strong stomachs, the Boston Globe offers this list of the 10 scariest rides on the planet:
- Superman Ride of Steel, Six Flags New England, Agawam, Mass.: Speeds of more than 77 mph and a 221-foot drop into a tunnel.
- X2, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Valencia, Calif.: 360-degree rotating seats and head-first drops.
- Fahrenheit, Hersheypark, Hershey, Pa.: At 97 degrees, the steepest drop in the US.
- Insanity, Stratosphere Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas: Sitting in a centrifuge, you extend 64 feet over the street at a 70 degree angle.
- Colossus, Thorpe Park, Surrey, UK: A record 10 loops.
- Kingda Ka, Six Flags Great Adventure, Jackson, NJ: A peak height of 45 stories—and a 270-foot spiral.
- Eejanaika, Fuji-Q Highland, Fujiyoshida, Japan: Like X2, it's "4-D"—there are 360-degree spins.
- Tower of Terror, Dreamworld, Gold Coast, Australia: Fastest and tallest in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park, Hassloch, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany: Reaches 4½ Gs and a height of 203 feet.
- Maverick, Cedar Point Amusement Park, Sandusky, Ohio: One of the park's 17 coasters, a 2½-minute, 70-mph adventure.