The US must overhaul its environmental strategy, alternative-energy advocate Denis Hayes writes in Yale Environment 360, and here's how:
- Cap carbon at its source—coal mines, oil fields, pipelines—not where it leaves the atmosphere.
- Promote renewable energy and buy photovoltaic devices in bulk to drive prices down.
- Construct a nationwide smart grid.
- Improve automobile mileage: 50mpg by 2020, 100mpg by 2030.
- Build high-speed electrified railways.
- Do it now.
To see the complete list, as well as Hayes' reasoning, click the link below.