Rattler Strikes Shopper at Fla. Wal-Mart

Man released after poisonous bite, which may have killed a child
By Dustin Lushing,  Newser Staff
Posted Jul 7, 2008 4:18 PM CDT
This image shows a bottle of vodka with a juvenile rattlesnake inside taken after a bust at a Texas rattlesnake ranch.   (AP Photo)
camera-icon View 2 more images

(Newser) – A Florida man has been released from the hospital after being bitten in the hand by a poisonous pygmy rattlesnake while browsing in a Wal-Mart garden department, the Miami Herald reports. Though potentially deadly to a child or elderly person, the bite "wouldn't have been fatal with an adult male. But you could lose a finger,'' said an officer with the antivenin unit.