You sat in plenty of stuffy cabins to earn those frequent-flier miles: make sure you get a good trip out of them. Travel and Leisure runs down the best ways to earn miles and use them efficiently.
- Stick with one airline: The more you commit to a single airline, the better you'll be treated and the more miles you'll accumulate.
- Eat more, drive more: Rental car companies such as Hertz double the miles of some airline customers, and participating restaurants also offer such benefits.
- Ditch the mouse for the receiver: Booking a ticket by calling an airline agent can help you use your miles more efficiently than online booking.
- Watch out for expiration: Renting a car or checking into a hotel can keep your miles active. Use Mileage Manager website to keep track of your account.
- Look for sales: Some airlines offer low fares and bonus miles. Although these offers are rare, looking for them is worth it.
- Share: An airline may allow you to transfer a percentage of your miles to a friend or a member of your family, with transfer fee of one cent per mile.
- Think outside the plane: Your miles program may allow you to use your miles for products or services other than flights, car rentals and hotels.
- Circle the world: What better way to use your miles than taking a round-the-world trip with a single reward ticket and up to a year to complete the trip?