Leno Could Doom Nightline with ABC Move
Host's retirement may set off cascade of late-night dominoes
By Kevin Spak,  Newser Staff
Posted Aug 11, 2008 2:05 PM CDT
Terry Moran, left, Martin Bashir, center, and Cynthia McFadden of "Nightline" take questions during the ABC Press Tour in Beverly Hills, Calif., Thursday, July 26, 2007.    (AP Photo/Nick Ut)
camera-icon View 3 more images

(Newser) – These should be banner days for ABC’s Nightline, John Edwards’ confessional outlet of choice. Instead, staffers fear Jay Leno's departure from NBC will wind up costing them their jobs, the LA Times reports. ABC appears to be Leno's most likely destination after he retires next year, which would likely spell the doom of the 29-year-old news magazine.

Six years ago, ABC tried to lure David Letterman from CBS. Nightline has undergone a surprising renaissance since then, despite host Ted Koppel’s departure. “The show is starting to matter again,” said its executive producer, and the news division president says it makes “a nice amount of money.” But an ad buyer says a Leno show would be “so much more lucrative.”