Top 10 Tech Toys That Flopped
New technologies that were ballyhooed, but didn't live up to their hype
- CueCat: A cat-shaped device that would scan magazine barcodes and send you to corresponding websites. No one bit.
- DigiScent's iSmell: Sending scents across the internet turned out to be a stinky idea.
- DIVX: A special system to play DVDs that destruct after one viewing. Obviously a keeper.
- E-books: If only it was more portable and durable . . . like a book.
- Facial Recognition Systems: Would have been brilliant if it had worked.
- Microsoft Bob: Everyone enjoys a lecture from a smiley faces, right?
- Network PC: Most people just went ahead and bought a real computer.
- SoftRAM: Doubled how much memory your computer thought it had while actually adding nothing at all.
- Speech Recognition: Humans and computers are still not speaking each other's languages.
- Web TV: Surf the web on your TV? No thanks.