More than 750,000 American jobs vanished this year, and more cuts are likely amid the current crisis. MarketWatch offers red flags that a pink slip is coming:
- Colleagues get fired: You are not immune, even if your boss says so.
- Training budgets dwindle: They are "not sure if everyone is going to be there," a career manager says.
- Job postings disappear on Internet sites.
- Budget woes, especially at publicly traded companies: If the firm misses targets, cutbacks help the bottom line.
- The gossip mill churns. Yes, take it with a grain of salt, but pay attention.