Democrats captured a Republican governor's seat last in Missouri, where state Attorney General Jay Nixon defeated Rep. Kenny Hulshof, AP reports. And in the night's closest races, Democrats Bev Purdue won in North Carolina and Christine Gregoire beat her opponent in Washington. With all 11 races in, Democrats now control 29 statehouses, up one from the start of the night. The Dem tally came close to being higher: Incumbent Republican Mitch Daniels held off a tough challenge from Jill Long Thompson in Indiana.
The other races:
- West Virginia: Incumbent Joe Manchin (D) defeated Russ Weeks (R).
- Delaware: Jack Markell (D) defeated Bill Lee (R).
- New Hampshire: Incumbent John Lynch (D) defeated Joseph D. Kenney (R).
- Vermont: Incumbent Jim Douglas (R) defeated Gaye Symington (D).
- Montana: Incumbent Brian Schweitzer (D) defeated Roy Brown (R).
- North Dakota: Incumbent John Hoeven (R) defeated Tim Mathern (D).
- Utah: Incumbent Jon Huntsman (R) defeated Bob Springmeyer (D).