Tonight’s election promises to end before bedtime, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be drama. Nate Silver breaks down which polls close when, and what to watch for.
- 6pm: Indiana and Kentucky: Usually these get called red right away, but this year Indiana is a toss-up.
- 7pm: Virginia, Georgia, and most of Florida and New Hampshire: We’ll get an idea how accurate polls are; Virginia is extremely important
- 7:30pm: Ohio and North Carolina: Early voting favors Obama.
- 8pm: Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Missouri: Watch carefully; early results in these states are deceiving.
- 9pm: Colorado, New Mexico, Wisconsin, and Minnesota: Colorado is the key here for Obama.
- 10pm: Nevada, Iowa, Montana, and New York: The earliest point at which the race might be called for Obama.
- 11pm: California, Oregon, and Washington: Nothing to see here, folks, except Proposition 8.