To celebrate the public premiere of Charles Darwin's beard (or at least hair from it his great, great grandson found in a small leather box) at the British Natural History Museum, the London Times lists the best all-time chin hairs:
- Karl Marx. The collapse of the Soviet Union may have deflated his Communist Manifesto, but the richness of his beard remains.
- Grigori Rasputin. The Russian mystic was renowned for his face rug and private parts, but it seems neither were preserved.
- Brian Blessed. At age 71, the actor refuses to cut his beard, which he says ages him by 20 years.
- Jesus Christ. Known more for his feats than his looks, the prophet put beards in style for centuries.
- Charles Dickens. Only one clean-shaven photo of the scribe was ever found; a buyer picked up the rarity for nearly $60,000 in 2001.
For more top beards, click on the link below.