Hollywood is looking backward with an eye on the future, reports the Los Angeles Times. Plans to launch remakes of 12 sci-fi flicks from the last millennium are already under way:
- When Worlds Collide, an update of the apocalyptic 1951 film, will hit theaters next year with Steven Spielberg signed onto produce and Mummy director Stephen Sommers in the director's seat.
- The Terminator returns next summer, starring Christian Bale, with a war between humans and the armies of Skynet. But the real question is, will the California governor "be back" as promised?
- Robocop, the other "mechanical hero" of the '80s, is set to reappear in 2010, with Darren Aronofsky in charge.
- Ghostbusters' third installment is in the works with help from the writers of The Office. The plan is for new blood to join the old gang, though potential newcomer Seth Rogen dismissed the film as "the worst idea ever."
- The Creature from the Black Lagoon will resurrect its prehistoric star in 2009, with Bill Paxton rumored to be among the cast.
Click the link below for the full list.