Every year, Google releases its analysis of the global zeitgeist based on billions of searches around the world. Newsweek reports the highlights:
- Sarah Palin: "Obama" was the most searched for term overall, but the Alaska governor grabbed the top spot on the fastest-rising list.
- Beijing 2008: The world was understandably electrified by the spectacle of the Olympics in China.
- Facebook login: #3 on the fastest-rising list; apparently, the world really wants to log in to Facebook.
- Tuenti, Nasza Klasa, and Wer Kennt Wen: Social-networking sites from Spain, Poland, and Germany gained on the global leader.
- Heath Ledger: News of the actor's untimely death sent searches for his name skyrocketing in 2008.
- The Jonas Brothers: 10th on the fastest-rising list, but hey, if only tweens used Google ...
For a complete list, and other analysis, click the links below.