2008 wasn’t a great year for tech or the economy, but some gadget-makers did invest in innovation, the San Jose Mercury News reports. Areas where tech made more than token gains:
- Digital cameras grow up: Not only are consumer cameras getting sharper, but some professional models can now record video.
- Gaming shows a feminine side: More than half of Wii users are women.
- The "digital living room" gets closer: Products by Sling Media and streaming Netflix service bring more of the Internet to your TV.
- Smartphones become mini-computers: Apple's App store and a similar effort by Google make customizing your handheld easy and rewarding.
- Social networking rises to the top: Not only did the Obama campaign employ the Web to orchestrate victory, but regular old sites like Facebook saw membership skyrocket.