Sunday’s the last chance to get your heckling in this NFL season, and Eddie Matz of ESPN the Magazine has timely tips on getting the most bang for your buck:
- Do your homework. Knowing a key statistical weak point or personal peccadillo can get you inside your target’s head.
- Wait until it’s quiet. Nobody’s going to hear if everyone’s cheering, so heckle during time-outs and the like … and …
- Be loud.
- Don’t swear. “If you have to explain it to your kids,” one aficionado says, “don’t say it.”
- Leave the refs out of it. They don’t make enough money for your BS, too.
- No slurs. As in drunken, but also racial and sexual.
- Be funny. If “You suck!” is the best you can do, stay home.
- Pay attention to the game. If a receiver’s dropping everything, let him know it.
For more heckling anecdotes and bonus tips on making the most of game day, click the link below.