So what did last night teach us about our president? Mark Halperin runs down the list in his Time blog The Page:
- He's optimistic and realistic, and unafraid to be both at the same time.
- He's unafraid to use his wife as a political asset.
- He likes Joe Biden, really, despite his garrulousness—and the VP is happy to play sidekick.
- He understands that confidence is the key to his presidency.
- He's willing to exhibit populist outrage to sate the public's outrage toward the banks.
- If the GOP wasn't already scared by "the size and reach of Obama's megaphone," now's the time to start.
- He's making education the sleeper issue of his administration.
- He doesn't need to be loved like Washington—not unlike George W Bush.
- And once again, "the man can give a heck of a speech."
For the rest of the list, click the link below.
(Read more Barack Obama