N. Korea Says It's Done With Nuke Talks
UN's 'unbearable insult' sparks threat to re-start plutonium production
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Apr 14, 2009 4:50 AM CDT
North Koreans attend a mass rally at Kim Il Sung Square in Pyongyang, Friday, April 10, 2009 to celebrate the re-election of Kim Jong Il as chairman of the National Defence Commission.    (AP Photo/APTN)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – North Korea has vowed to never again take part in talks over its nuclear program after the "unbearable insult" of the UN Security Council's condemnation of its rocket launch, the BBC reports. A strongly worded statement from the country's foreign ministry also threatened to reactivate its partially dismantled nuclear reactor and resume producing plutonium.

North Korea said it would push to "strengthen its nuclear deterrent for its defense by all means." Russia called for North Korea to return to the talks—which first stalled after investigators were unable to verify the nuclear plant at Yongbyon had been shut down—while China urged "calm and restraint from both sides."