The New York Yankees' $1.5 billion valuation lands them solidly in the top spot in the Forbes ranking of baseball's most valuable teams. The crosstown Mets came second, trailing by almost $600 million. The Yanks, however, were one of only two teams to lose money last season, dropping $3.7 million. The Detroit Tigers lost a whopping $26.3 million.
Ten teams saw their value fall from a year ago, with the Washington Nationals—down 12%—suffering the biggest plunge. The other 8 most valuable teams:
- Boston Red Sox (current value $833 million)
- Los Angeles Dodgers ($722 million)
- Chicago Cubs ($700 million)
- Los Angeles Angels ($509 million)
- Philadelphia Phillies ($496 million)
- St. Louis Cardinals ($486 million)
- San Francisco Giants ($471 million)
- Chicago White Sox ($450 million)
To see the complete breakdowns, click the link below.