Trying to awake from the nightmare of history? Mental Floss' list of 12 "oddly specific" American museums may only give you bad dreams:
- The SPAM Museum: Complete with a wall of 5,000 SPAM tins and a scale plant where visitors can suit up in white coats and hardhats, the Austin, Minn., museum is "guaranteed fun for the whole canned-pork-loving family."
- The Hobo Museum: True to form, the monument to tramps is open sporadically; go during the Hobo Convention and experience the real thing down by tracks in Britt, Iowa.
- The Barbed Wire Museum: Located in McLean, Texas, this museum details the history of the nasty fencing. Apparently, a "mutated coffee grinder" brought it into the world.
- The Conspiracy Museum: Just down the street from the Texas School Book Depository, this oddity screens the Zapruder film and has info on less-accepted theories of the JFK assassination.
- The Museum of Questionable Medical Devices: "Take two trips" to this collection at the Science Museum of Minnesota and "call us when you've lost all faith in the medical profession."
- The Trash Museum: With a Temple of Trash, an "old-fashioned town dump," and an attached Children's Museum of Trash, this Hartford, Conn., museum is dirty fun for everyone.
For the full list, please click the link below.