As shifting ocean currents spread debris from Air France Flight 447 over a wider area, the chances rise that it will become one of aviation's unsolved mysteries. CNN rounds up some other biggies:
- Amelia Earhart disappeared over the Pacific in 1937 while on a round-the-world flight.
- Numerous aircraft have crashed mysteriously in the "Bermuda Triangle," including a team of five Navy bombers that disappeared in 1949 after getting disoriented.
- Golfer Payne Stewart's Learjet lost cabin pressure and crashed in 1999, and investigators have never figured out why.
- 132 people died when US Air Flight 427 crashed in Pennsylvania in 1994, and investigators don't know why its rudder failed.
- Steve Fossett's crash in Nevada in 2007: Investigators found no problems with the plane, and the experienced aviator was flying through clear skies in an area he knew well.