Death Toll in DC Crash Reduced to 7
By Mary Papenfuss,  Newser User
Posted Jun 23, 2009 8:01 AM CDT
National Transportation Safety Board investigators photograph the site of a rush-hour collision between two Metro transit trains in Washington DC yesterday.    (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
camera-icon View 2 more images

(Newser) – Washington, DC, officials have reduced the fatalities in yesterday's Metro crash to seven from the nine previously reported, reports AP. Mayor Adrian Fenty said officials are "going to let the investigation run its course" and that hopefully the number will not exceed seven by the end of the day. Fenty also said that two remain in critical but stable condition in area hospitals. The Red Line accident, which occurred during rush hour as one train rammed into the rear of another, was the worst in the 33-year history of the Metro.