Hoping to do some bartending this summer—or just to bring some class to your home boozing? Pete Wells, in the New York Times, has an encyclopedia of tips for you. Highlights:
- Chilies: Small amounts of hot peppers can actually lower your body temperature.
- Cola: Some new colas are using actual cane sugar again instead of cloying high-fructose corn syrup, meaning it’s time to revive the Cuba Libre.
- Freezer: The home bartender’s best friend, especially for making punch. Keep cold and stocked with ice. Just don’t stash your liquor in there; it looks desperate.
- Julep: Even better with aged gin than mint, a properly-made no-shortcuts julep is unbelievably refreshing.
- Pimento Dram: Now back on US shelves, this Jamaican liqueur is a great way to keep your sweet drinks in line, and provide that what-is-that-flavor intrigue.