When diagnosis is difficult, the procedure is risky, or less-invasive alternatives are available, a second opinion is essential. CNN lists five diagnoses that should send up red flags:
- Heart-bypass surgery: Alternatives may be better for some patients.
- Hysterectomy: The uterus isn't always the problem, and when it is, less dramatic alternatives are available.
- Pregnancy termination for fetal abnormality: Misdiagnoses are common.
- Surgery for varicose veins: The wrong treatment wastes both time and money.
- Brain-tumor treatments: Some inflammatory conditions mimic tumors well enough to fool a pathologist.