Travel writer Gary McKechnie helps USA Today round up some of the best places to get a taste of old-fashioned Americana:
- Little League World Series, Williamsport, Pa.: The end-of-August tradition is free.
- Mark Twain America, Hannibal, Mo.: Be like Tom Sawyer and go on a guided cave tour.
- All-American Soap Box Derby, Akron, Ohio: Jimmy Stewart put his honeymoon on hold to attend, and you can, too.
- Groundhog Day, Punxsutawney, Pa.: Cheesy but fun in the cold of February.
- Rock City, Lookout Mountain, Ga.: No thrill rides, just a cityscape built of boulders.
- Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, NM: It's a spectacle every October.
For the full list, click on the link.