The Giants' $85 million upgrade on defense paid off today, as New York held the Washington Redskins to one touchdown in a 23-17 win, the New York Daily News reports. In other NFL action:
- Brett Favre won in his Vikings debut, but threw for only 110 yards as Minnesota beat the Cleveland Browns 34-20, ESPN reports.
- Drew Brees went 26 of 34 for 358 yards and six touchdowns as the New Orleans Saints licked the Detroit Lions, 45-27.
- Donovan McNabb broke a rib in the Philadelphia Eagles' 38-10 victory over the Carolina Panthers. He is week-to-week.
- Despite Kurt Warner's 288-yard day, the San Francisco 49ers held him to one touchdown in a 20-16 victory over Arizona.
- Matt Hasselbeck threw for 279 yards and three touchdowns in a 28-0 Seattle Seahawks rout of the Rams.
- The Jets' defense held Houston's vaunted offense in a 24-7 Texans loss. New York quarterback Mark Sanchez threw for 272 yards.
- Denver beat the Cincinnati Bengals with a last-minute, 87-yard touchdown pass. Broncos win, 12-7.
- The Colts stopped Jacksonville's offense twice in the fourth quarter to edge them out, 14-12.
For more scores, click on the ESPN link below.